Valley Community Interpreters identifies, assesses and trains bilingual community members committed to pursuing an interpreter career. VCI offers the industry standard course The Community Interpreter® International, including medical, social service and education interpreter skills. The course consists of 60 hours in classroom and 20 hours of paid practicum to support students’ interpreter skills in a three step process: 1) pre-recorded interpreter encounters 2) phone interpreting and 3) on-site, hands-on practice at local clinics, schools, and social service organizations.
Course is limited to 16 participants.
- Want to work as an interpreter. THIS COURSE IS FOR PERSONS WHO ARE COMMITTED TO DEVELOPING AN INTERPRETER CAREER.
- Must be 18 or older.
- Must be bilingual and pass the reading comprehension and language proficiency assessments.
- Have a high school diploma or the equivalent.
- Have basic computer skills.
- Own a computer.
- Complete the 60 hours of classroom work and pass the course exam.
- Complete the 20 hours of paid practicums within the six weeks allotted. Students do their practicums at local healthcare facilities, community service organizations and schools.